Friday, June 10, 2011

Mayday, mayday!

Skip came home earlier than I expected him to last night... Which was cool and all, I like seeing his face. I was sprawled out on the floor with a pile of our wedding invitations, slapping stamps on the outer envelopes. I was watching some chick show on TLC, the dogs were napping... A little moment of peace, if you will.

And then, he dropped a bomb. It went a little something like this:

Skip- "Oh yea, so, Mom called me today."
Me- "Oh? How's Mom? Busy working and stuff?"
Skip- "Her and Bill are gonna be here tomorrow night. They're staying with us."
Me- *deer in headlights face*
Skip- "I think they're bringing Joseph." (Grandkid)
Me- *freak out face"
Skip- "Oh, and their 2 yorkies."
Me- *omg dogs face*
Skip- "And maybe Brendan too... I don't remember." (Other grandkid)
Me- *PANIC FACE*

I instantly dropped the pile of envelopes, grabbed a bottle of some obscure cleaning supply and got to work. Skip started laughing uncontrollably. I threw dirty socks at him. I stripped the sheets off the bed, sprayed the tub with Tilex, and started wiping down all the flat surfaces that collect dust. Fired up the washer and the dryer. Then I started cooking dinner.

At some point, in the midst of cooking said dinner, Skip's mom called him. And told him they weren't going to be staying with us. They're getting a hotel down the highway from us. *slight relief face* They are bringing the grandkids and both dogs. I'm still not clear as to whether or not we're dog-sitting for them. *slight panic face*

The apartment isn't in bad shape, per se, but it's the first time they've seen our place... So I'm feeling kind of pressured. I feel like I need to prove myself as a worthy housewife... I can't let her think her son is marrying a slob, can I? Heck no! I'm a clean-freak with a slight case of organizational OCD. I need to make sure she knows this the instant she enters our abode.

At least they're not staying with us... There's a big difference between "people staying here"-clean and "people just visiting"-clean. I don't have to scrub down every single square inch of my bathroom. I don't have to make sure every single speck of dust is eradicated. They'll only be there for a short visit, and hopefully they won't be inspecting the place with a magnifying glass. *fingers-crossed face*

In other news... My weight loss adventure is going quite well. I've lost 23 pounds since March 1st. That's pretty big, right? I'm noticing it in little places... My jeans are looser, my shirts fit better, I'm starting to get my hip bones and collar bone back... I have a long way to go until I reach my Ultimate Goal Weight, but you gotta start somewhere. I tried my wedding dress on yesterday, and it's feeling loose... So maybe I'll be a skinny lady come October.

Everything else in life is going good... Job is good, Skip is good, dogs are (cute) good, Jeep is good... Wedding planning is good... Money is... Not plentiful enough, but weddings kind of suck the money out of your bank account. I'm definitely looking forward to getting this party over with, so I can have my paycheck back.

Toodles!

--Malaya

1 comment:

  1. Forgive me for laughing, but this made me laugh! Way to go on the weight loss!!

    ReplyDelete